Golden Milk (Turmeric milk) –
Gold milk is a traditional Ayurvedic drink made with turmeric root (or ground turmeric), milk (originally made with cow’s milk, but can also be made with plant-based and dairy free milks like almond and coconut). Spices like black pepper, cinnamon are optional so are natural sweeteners like honey, maple sugar and gud (jaggery)
– Turmeric is loaded with Antioxidants.
– Has Antibacterial, Antiviral and Antifungal Properties thus fight off various infections and build (and boost) immunity.
– Turmeric heats up your body and provides quick relief from lung congestion and sinuses thus effective in #Respiratory illness.
– May Help Reduce joint pain and Inflammation.
– Boosts Liver function and helps it detox.
– May Reduce Your Risk of Cancer.
– Helps in Autoimmune diseases.
– In Insomnia – Warm golden milk with cinnamon produces tryptophan, that induces a peaceful and blissful sleep.
1 cup of whole organic milk
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/4 tsp of black pepper (optional)
1/4 tsp of cinnamon (optional)
1/2 tsp of ghee (optional)
Honey, maple syrup or jaggery (gud) to taste
Place milk in a saucepan over low/medium heat.
Bring to low boil.
Add all ingredients except the honey or sugar. Let the mixture simmer for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.
Turn off heat, and allow the mixture to cool to a warm drinkable temperature.
When the mixture has cooled, add honey, gud or maple syrup to taste.
It is important that the honey not be added to the hot milk, as heated honey is considered toxic (very hard to digest and changes form) in ayurveda.